The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Eggs Motulenos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> All Other Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Eggs Motulenos Reply with quote

I made this for brunch Sunday and it was very good and different. I forgot to top it off with the cilantro!

DH was very impressed with this dish. Smile

Eggs Motulenos

1 can black beans, drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 jalapenos, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup frozen peas
2 corn tortillas
2 T. oil
2 eggs
Cooked ham, diced (I used Champagne ham)
Hot chili sauce
Feta cheese
Salt and pepper
Salsa
*Cilantro, if desired

Heat the beans, onion, jalapenos, garlic and 1 t. chili sauce and keep on low. Fry the eggs to desired doneness (using same pan heat diced ham and peas), microwave tortillas and keep warm. Plate the black beans, peas and ham and feta cheese. Place the corn tortilla in the middle of the plate and top with egg, salt & pepper and chili sauce. Serve with salsa on the side.

Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bean! Not sure about the peas, for me, but I'd be willing to give it a go. Smile

Last edited by Thick Crust on Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Bean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick Crust! You and some others made my day today! Smile

I made this recipe because DH & I like to try new things (brunch every Sunday) and I really thought no one would care for it but a friend told me to post it. It has a mix of ingredients that's for sure! The peas were really good in this.

So, you don't like peas? Shocked
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an awesome recipe Bean!!!! I love just winging it like that and it turn out spectacular!!!!!!!
Bean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY you both! Very Happy
Bean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin Crust wrote:
I love just winging it like that and it turn out spectacular!!!!!!!

Oh, I didn’t wing it (out of an older Mexican cookbook), I just changed a few things. Wink
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be so curious as to what was originally in the recipe - would you mind listing the ingredients? No need for the method - I'm just curious as to what you changed. Us cooks like to know these things Cool
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:

Yes! I love peas! I love to make mashed potatoe, take a scoop and press it into the peas. Num! I was thinkling this was more of a Mexican recipe and I never had that in any other Mexican dishes. I believe you though. Very Happy
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick Crust wrote:
Bean wrote:

Yes! I love peas! I love to make mashed potatoe, take a scoop and press it into the peas. Num! I was thinkling this was more of a Mexican recipe and I never had that in any other Mexican dishes. I believe you though. Very Happy

That's how I LOVE to eat peas TC! Corn the same way. When you smoosh the peas into the mashed potatoes the Australians call them mushy peas (as the English do too I'm sure Rolling Eyes ) I think they use a LOT of peas though.

I also like to cut up carrots and boil them with my potatoes and mash all together. You can really taste the carrot and the color is wonderful!
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of potatoes and peas, I saw this on Food TV recently and thought it looked really good. What do you all think?

Pea Whipped Potatoes
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

Cook's Note: I like to use English peas here, but you can use any fresh or quality frozen pea and still get delicious results.

1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen peas
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan, if desired

If using fresh peas, shuck the peas.
Put the potatoes in a large saucepan with well-salted cold water to cover them by 3 inches. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, add the peas to the pot. They will float on the top. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, then remove with a sieve. Cool on a sheet tray.

The potatoes are done when you can easily insert a knife through the potato. When the potatoes are done drain well, scatter on a baking sheet, and let cool for several minutes. Place in the oven to dry out, about 5 minutes. Press the potatoes through a ricer or food mill or mash with a potato masher.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter stops foaming and turns a light brown. Add the garlic and cook quickly until pale gold. Add the 1 1/2 cups of the cream, season, to taste, with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and beat in the potatoes with a wooden spoon or large whisk. Add the remaining butter by tablespoonfuls, stirring vigorously after each addition. (In this way, the butter does not melt into a golden puddle. Instead, it forms an emulsion with the potatoes, creating a very smooth puree.)
In a small pot, heat the remaining cream until it reaches a boil then simmer for a few minutes. Add the cream to a blender with the peas and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Fold the pea puree into the mashed potatoes and adjust seasoning as necessary. Instead of salt, the puree can be seasoned with a little grated Parmesan. Serve hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> All Other Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: