The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Longing for Wooster Street...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Who makes the best pizza?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Longing for Wooster Street... Reply with quote

I recieved this "Pizza Essay", and I am posting it, as sent to me:

"A pizza essay was sent to you (written by me) as I sign up for your newsletter.
I am not sure if that is such a good idea for me, receiving a newsletter may be
more of a taunt and a tease, but I shall wait it out and see.

I live in Virginia, but on the western side of the state... far from discerning palettes.
I'm quite sure that if there is anyone who could share sympathy, it would be you.
I am a transplant down here not yet 5 years, (living in greater New Haven area for
my former 50 years), and nowhere but nowhere is there good pizza no matter how
much people may rave.

There are pizza places "from New York", and Jersey guys whose lit signs boast of
authenticity, but c'mon, really, Al, they are not even worthy to be called "a good try".

I had recently gone online and actually PRINTED out a photo of a Sally's pie to see
it just one more time. The visual alone made a sick twinge in my stomach the way
you might feel if you saw a lost love, the one that got away.

There is no such thing as crunch down here.
They must make a Pepperidge Farm crust recipe I'm sure.
(Or they import their crust from New Hampshire).

There is no buffalo cheese, no flavorful drizzle of oil, no discernable flavor of garlic
or herbs. If you are lucky enough to find the rare pizza place that burns wood, sorry,
they don't burn the pizza EVEN when it is requested. They think they do, but their idea
of burnt is a medium golden brown instead of light.

Oh, its a heartache.

I am so frustrated that I'm actually motivated to learn to make it myself.
I am a great cook and understand yeast breads and have made bread since I
was 15 years old. Back in the day, my grandfather had a bakery shop on Grand Ave.,
He taught me to make bread, but I never had a true Wooster Street pizza person give me
a foolproof recipe to make a perfect dough, which is indeed one of the foundations to the perfect pie.

A decent pizza;
I miss it it so much it hurts.

However, I've enjoyed this moment of sharing, hope you have too.

Debs
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Who makes the best pizza? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: