The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
The Case of the Shriking Dough...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have problems with your dough shrinking when you try to make pizza?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
I don't even know what you are talking about!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: The Case of the Shriking Dough... Reply with quote

Bill writes:

I have tried your recipe fo making pizza dough. The only problem I am having is after I have proofed the dough and get ready to roll it out, it continues to shrink back to original size. How do I prevent this from happening? I am using a high gluten flour.

Here is my response:
Great question.

What I have done is to roll it out, and then stretch it by hand. Let it relax for a minute or 2 and then roll again.
Repeat. Each time you do this it should shrink back less and less.

This is what I do and I have minimal problems.

I started thinking: what do the members of the Forum think?

Any further suggestions or ideas?

thanks,

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
Bean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what dough recipe I am using. Albert, I do the same as you do, roll and wait. Sometimes the dough just needs to "relax" a bit.

Some dough’s I use my hands to press out and others I roll.
Vince120

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I believe this is called "snap" and is directly related to the amount of gluten development in the dough. In most cases, a 10 minute rest should allow the dough to be more extensible (keep the shape you want). Worst case possibilities, your high protien flour / dough has been over-kneaded. There are dough relaxers/conditioners out there, or some suger interupts the strands as well as salt. You may consider a lower protien (glutamine) flour or not kneading as long.

Good luck

Vinny
GOOMBA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILL:
Good afternoon. Bill, one of the reasons for this action is that the concoction has not been "FULLY" proofed. The chemical action of the yeast is still functioning. To be certain when your pizza dough is ready for hand shaping is poke your index finger into the dough about 1 1/2 inches in. then remove your finger.... now then Bill, two things you feel & or observe. first in doing so if you felt resistance going in the yeast is still working still doing it's thing. If not, after poking & you removed your finger the hole is still there & it did not fill up....then we can say the yeast has been spent. It is now time to shape this mass into a pie. I hope this info provided you with yeasted lean bread dough science somewhat.
Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young man.

~GOOMBA.
CJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only with cold dough
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: