The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Pepe's, Sally's or Modern Apizza...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pepe's Sally's, or Modern Apizza
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who makes the best pizza?
Pepe's
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Sally's Apizza
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Modern Apizza
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pepe's, Sally's or Modern Apizza... Reply with quote

The truth of the matter is this:

I have gotten more feedback for the Best Pizza in the World section of http://pizzatherapy.com from fans of Pepe's, Sally's or Modern Apizza , than all other pizzerias combined.

No kidding. The New Haven pizza fans are pizza fanatics. They are extrememly loyal to their pizzerias.

If you have not sample New Haven Pizza, I urge you to do so. As a matter of fact, Penny Pollack and Jeff Ruby in their book, Everybody Loves Pizza designate New Haven as having its own distinct type of pizza. The other areas include California, Chicago and New York.

We just returned from Modern Apizza, Pepe's and Sally's!. They were each, fantastic, incredible and memorable pizzas.

I wrote about the visits in my blog: Pizza Notes from pizzatherapy.com. Here is the link:
http://pizzatherapy.blogspot.com/

Go to Modern Apizza, Pepe's and Sally's, yourself and discover, Pizza on Earth...
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog

Last edited by pizza on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
cmdeloma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Toss up between Sally's and Pepe's Reply with quote

It's hard to choose between Sally's and Pepe's. I guess it depends on what kind of pizza you are ordering. For pepperoni pizza, Sally's is the best! I love sausage pizza from Pepe's.

As far as Modern Apizza, I don't know because I've only been there once. It's hard to steer my way toward Modern because if I'm in New Haven I want Pepe's or Sally's.

As for the service at both Sally's and Pepe's, it's terrible, but it's something we Yankees put up with because the pizza is so perfect.

I'm not surprised Modern Apizza's service is better!
Mike Devine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: MODERN APIZZA Reply with quote

Hi All:

- Modern should not be left out of the debate, State Street rules baby, it's a great pizza. It rates right up there with Pepe's and Sally's. Anyone remember the Venice aka Johnny's from Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, alas it's gone but it was the place in it's day (late 50's 60's). What about Joe Bimonte's in Hamden, previously run (back in the day ) by Tony Savino. What about Nicky's on the Hamden New Haven town line, awesome. The baked stuffed clams were wicked good. Bring it on baby, New Haven born (St. Raphaels), I got it all in my DNA. I'll be in New Haven on 6 September, crank up the dough and shuck some clams.
Chez_Jose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepe's, hands down.
Everything else is ALMOST as good.
When I lived and worked in New Haven, Pepe's was a second home.
I did enjoy Modern also. They are quite good and usually never a wait.
We also used to go to The Spot which was right next to Pepe's down an alley. Owned by the family. Excellent pies and not much of a wait.
Is The Spot still around?
Large Bacon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Will Pepe's add Hot Peppers? Reply with quote

I was speaking with Large pepporini the other day and was wondering...since they are not above credit cards and franchising now, will Pepe's break with tradition and serve cherry peppers?
lewisp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Bad experience at Sally's Reply with quote

We stopped at Sally’s for dinner on a recent trip between Boston and New York. We were kept waiting outside in the cold for half and hour despite there being empty tables inside. After ordering our two large pizzas we were kept waiting A FULL HOUR AND A HALF for them to arrive. We asked the waiter twice if they would be coming out soon. The first time he said he would check and never came back. The second time (when my husband literally jumped up and followed him to get his attention) the owner sent over a round of free sodas (which we didn’t want) and still gave us no apology, explanation, or idea of when they would be coming. When they did finally arrive the crusts were burnt. When the check arrived we complained to the owner that it seemed a bit steep for two pizzas that we’d waited for for an hour and a half. She immediately became nasty and abusive. It was an altogether terrible experience. The pizza was pretty good, but definitely not worth the wait or the abuse.

P. Lewis, Silver Spring, MD
oaktree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Modern, Modern, Modern Reply with quote

As a local I have been to the "Big 3" many times. Modern doesn't get the press or have the fame, but they sure do have the PIZZA!!!
Dino

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you. Modern for me.

Pepe's pizza is great, but Modern works best for me, and I don't mind not having someone throw the pizza pan down on my table and getting a glass of coke that is a reasonable size also helps.
shipwreck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepe's.

My family is from Hamden, CT and I've been a regular at Pepe's since I was a kid. Even today we make it up there every year or two.

My family, having lived there for all their lives, have gotten a little indifferent to Pepe's and say other local places are just as good but for all the pizza I try there's nothing quite like Pepe's. Even if I lived across the street and ate it three meals a day I don't think I'd get sick of it, though my health might disagree.

Cheers.

Or should I say 'mangia'!
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Pepe's Video... Reply with quote

The last time I was at Pepe's, I filmed the experience.

You can see an actual clip of how they make a pizza at Pepe's, an interview with Gary Bimonte (grandson of Frank Pepe) as well get up close and personal with the Famous Pepe's Coal Fired oven.

Here is the link:

http://pizzatherapy.com/pepevid.htm

Pepe's as usual did not disappoint me in any way...

pizza on earth,

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
shipwreck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I just want to know what's in their dough. I'm sure it's just a standard recipe but that oven does wonders to it.

My Uncle used to work there, I should just ask him Surprised
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: If I knew how to make pizza like Pepe's or Sally's... Reply with quote

Hey please ask your uncle.

The whole world is watching and wants to know!

I always say, "If I knew how to make pizza like Pepe's or Sally's, I would own my own pizzeria instead of having a website."

I do think the coal fired oven really makes the world of difference.

Although noted pizzaiolo, Jon F. in his review of Apizza Scholls says he told Brian Spangler:

Quote:
the pizzas were the closest to New Haven pizzas that I’d ever had.

Spangler makes all of his pizzas in a commercial pizza oven.

You can read the review here:

http://pizzatherapy.com/brianspangler.htm
PopV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: I have to go with Modern Reply with quote

I really can't put my finger on the reason but for me Modern is the best. It could be the oven or the sauce, I'm not sure. Modern apizza has a bite - more spicy than the others. I think the mozzarella might be somewhat more salty than the others. Anyway, Modern Apizza is the best of the three.
Today for lunch I took my wife to Tony and Lucille's, on Wooster Street in New Haven, across the street from Pepe’s and Sally’s. The apizza was good - very fresh. All mozz, half peppers. I didn't know that they only serve apizza during lunch. The restaurant is cool. You expect to meet the godfather there. So, a plug for Tony and Lucille's.
I could not believe that there was a line to get into Pepe’s for lunch on Tuesday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pepe's Sally's, or Modern Apizza All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: