The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Pizza dough - do you really knead it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Pizza dough - do you really knead it? Reply with quote

I am wondering how all of you make your dough. Do you use a breadmaker, the food processor with dough hooks, or are you a real pizzaiolo who kneads the dough by hand?

And, a corollary to that: do you roll it out with a rolling pin, or toss it?

I started out using a breadmaker on the "pizza dough" setting, simply because it only took 55 minutes. Then I switched to using the dough setting, that takes 1h30min. I found the crust to be better.

This last pizza, I used the food processor with the hooks. Not sure how long I ran it, I followed Albert's World Famous Pizza Dough recipe, and I think I kneaded it for about 8-10 minutes. I found that the crust was better.

I am thinking the old fashioned hand kneading might be best. Your opinions are invited!

I am working on the tossing thing......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it all by hand and I don't own a docker. I tried the kitchenaid with a dough hook, and it worked, but making dough by hand is fun for me.

I'm working on the tossing thing too! Laughing
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that kneading by hand is the way to go, also. I remember my mother baking coffee cakes at Christmas, working the dough with her hands. No better coffee cakes than those! Truly the labor of love!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: I like making it by hand... Reply with quote

While I certainly would never fault anyone for using a machine, I prefer to make my dough by hand.

I have used Kitchen Aids and food processor with good results. It certainly was easier.

I prefer to mix my dough by hand, however.

On Legends of Pizza, CD's
http://pizzatherapy.com/1and2.htm,

Chris Bianco (Pizzeria Bianco) and Brain Spangler (Apizza Scholls), both hand mix all of their pizza dough.

Ed LaDou on Legends of Pizza Volume 2, advises that you mix all of your dough by hand. I tend to agree with Ed.

Once you get the dance of kneading your dough, it really goes quite quickly.

So give it a try...

I am also trying to refine my own dough recipe. I notice that I can get better results by cutting back on the amount of yeast I use.

I have cut the amount of yeast I use in half with good results. Again, on LOP 1, that was the advice Peter Reinhart gives.

Please let me know how you make out....
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
davidmic61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a combo kneader. I start the dough in the Mixmaster, and allow the hooks to do thier work. Then after the workout, the dough gets some good old fashioned hands on kneading for about five minutes. Let it rest overnight in a cool spot. Give it the hands on treament again. Roll/toss, get the pie dressed, and send it on vacation to a very warm place. Mine likes 500 degrees.
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few comments about leaving the dough rest overnight. What have you found to be the big advantage of that?

I have been doing all of my pizza on the charcoal grill. Do you think letting the dough rest overnight would enhance my experience?

Always looking for the next step......
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfandreatta wrote:
I've seen quite a few comments about leaving the dough rest overnight. What have you found to be the big advantage of that?

I have been doing all of my pizza on the charcoal grill. Do you think letting the dough rest overnight would enhance my experience?

Always looking for the next step......

Definitely let your dough do an overnight rise in the fridge! It makes a huge diff. IMO. Smile
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, kneading by hand and resting all night..... and pizza on the grill.... what could be better?
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfandreatta wrote:
All right, kneading by hand and resting all night..... and pizza on the grill.... what could be better?

Giving me your pizza, maybe? Laughing

How hot can you get your grill?
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never checked the temp, but I can tell you that it only takes a couple of minutes to do the crust on one side, and less than five after the toppings are on.

I put the charcoal in a ring around the outside of the Weber One-Touch, and move the pizza 90 degrees every few moments, so as not to scorch the crust. Which I have done, to answer your un-asked question.
Big G

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Rolling Reply with quote

I am definatly a hand kneader but can't do the 'tossing thing' any tips anyone? I roll my dough out on a lightly oiled surface as I find this reduces the spring back I have tried hand stretching but end up with very uneaven thickness pies. HELP Confused
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the tossing deal...... not nearly there yet. I haven't actually lost one to the floor, but I have three left hands when I try to toss. I'll keep working on that.

Some time back, I found a brief video file on the subject, I think it was $0.99 and worth it. Can't remember where I saw it or what I did with it.

Practice. Practice. Practice. Not the kind of thing you want to do when company is coming for pizza!
CJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in 8 or 9 commercial pizza establishments over the years. Part of any good pizza making is playing to the customer and hand tossing of the dough is a big part of the show. When you have the dough partially stretched rest it over the back of your hands and using your knuckles spin the dough. As the dough stretches throw it in the air spinning it counter clockwise if you are right handed.

When it comes down don't raise your hands to catch it, rather catch it like you would an egg or water balloon moving your hands with the dough.

Try not to punch any holes in the dough. If you do rip it use water to repair any rips. (put a little water on the dough and cover the rip with adjoining dough)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: