The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
I want Light and Crisp not Dense and Heavy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: I want Light and Crisp not Dense and Heavy... Reply with quote

Mike has a problem.

He writes:

"I think I used old yeast. The dough seemed to rise a couple of times...even
after I punched it down. But it didn't bake up light and crisp but kinda
dense and heavy. Is there anything I could have done to prevent this?

Thanks"

My Response:

Hi Mike you can try this:

1) Use yeast that has not expired

2) Try using bread flour

3) Hydrate the dough, that is use a litle more water than
the recipe calls for.

4) Don't over cook the pizza. Pre-heat your oven for an hour on 500+ or as hot as your oven will go.

You want the pizza to cook up quickly. 8-10 minutes should do it....

Try that and let me know how you make out...

Does anyone else have some suggestions for Mike?
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
chefrockyrd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I have a lot of questions for you. I can trouble shoot it for you.

You say your dough seemed to rise a couple of times? why? Each time the dough rises the bubbles will be smaller and smaller as the yeast has less to feed upon. One rise is enough. Then gently pat it- don't punch it down.

Also how are you measuring the flour? or weighiing it? Dry cups or liquid cups? Maybe you are heavy handed measuring it out? Do you stir the flour before you measure or just dip the cup in and level it off? OR use a liquid measuring cup and fill it, then bang it on the counter to level it- don't laugh a lot of people still don't know there is a difference.

As Albert said you should make a wetter dough- it will be sticky to the touch- that is ok. Don't add all the flour called for- go by touch.
Let it rise in an oiled bowl and the flour will hydrate from the water added.
After it rises it won't be quite as sticky and if you want or need to add flour you can, but once its added you can't take it back, kwim?

Lastly why not let the dough rise after you put it in the pan- is that how you are baking it? You want a higher lighter crust? Push it - don't flour and roll it out- just press into an oiled pan. Just make it thin, then cover with plastic wrap and let it rise. You can prebake it that way before adding toppings too.
chefrockyrd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: