The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Stretching Dough Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Stretching Dough Out Reply with quote

I see many people are having a problem stretching their dough out.

First I agree with Peter Reinhardt, make the dough the day before

Next I roll my dough into balls being careful to seal the under side, oil them and refrigerate over night.

When I am ready to make my pizzas I bring the dough out and allow them to warm to room temperature.

Flour my peal and put the dough on it.

Next I slightly flatten the dough becareful to keep the round shape. Next I form the lip of the crust , pushing my f ingers down around the inside edge of the dough with one hand while keeping my other hand on the outside of the dough keeping the round shape as I form the lip.

Now using my knuckles I stretch the dough while rotating it. With your knuckles you keep stretching to the outside of the dough until you get the size and thickness you desire. (I use to cheat and put marks on my peal so I knew the pizza would fit in the box) Thgis is also where the showmanship of throwing the dough in the air comes into play. Children and adults both love to see the dough spinning in the air. Good for business and puts people in a light hearted mood.

I do not believe in rolling dough as it will make it tough and leathery.

Also a dough rolled well into a ball will be less likely to tear when being stretched out by hand.
qiatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Hand made pizza crust Reply with quote

Nothing like a well made pizza dough ball made by hand. Rolling out the dough for a ball or for a pizza crust is not allowed if one wants to produce true Napoletana.
shipwreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I have trouble with this as well so I need some practice. A friend of mine who used to work at an Italian restaurant says that if you add the water into your bread mixer gradually it helps the dough stretch for some reason.

I've made dough by machine and by hand and I don't really see a difference, though I still knead it by hand a bit even after using the machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: