The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
An Incredible Spaghetti Sauce Tale....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Discuss your favorite pasta sauce
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: An Incredible Spaghetti Sauce Tale.... Reply with quote

My buddy Jay sent me this: From the New York Times...

This story chronicles a writer's search to Italy to find the origins of her family's spaghetti sauce.

The title says it all:

A Grandchild of Italy Cracks the Spaghetti Code

A great read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/dining/21sauce.html?_r=1&ref=dining&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

I loved this story. It brought back memories of me watching
both of my Italian grandmothers
(Grandma Grande and Grandma Palmieri) make sauce.

"How much of this (fill in the ingredient here) do I put in I asked them again and again."

They both said "A little bit of this and a little bit of that. You'll know it when it tastes right."

I never did get their sauce down right. But I still try...
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story! Those recipes (sauce/meatballs) are like my Italian family recipe. I have also had lefse and plan on trying my hand at making that soon. Thanks for the article. Smile
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: It actually was called gravy... Reply with quote

As I grew up, there was an endless debate in our house, that continues to this very day:

Do you call it sauce or do you call it gravy?

I say both. But I like to call it gravy....

pasta on earth,

albert
Papa Luigi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that story flashes many memories of my childhood and brings many memories and wonderfull smells of my nona's kitchens (the other one was in the basement - you other italians know what I'm talking about).

The Zappa family recipe is very familiar to me and several variations thereof. I think I've got to make a trip to the market tomorrow, I know what I making. Just remember sauce like that can only be really enjoyed on fresh homemade pasta.

Per pizza's, to me it's a sauce, no offence to gravy, which I like to.

I wonder if you made an english style meat and potatoes dinner, but on a pizza topped with Gravey! OHHHHHH I think I just felt my arteries clog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Discuss your favorite pasta sauce All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: