The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Best bad pizza

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Who makes the best pizza?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
songbird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Best bad pizza Reply with quote

Ok, we all know that it's almost impossible to find "bad" pizza, because nearly any pizza is a good one. But do you have a favorite "not so great" pizza?

My sister introduced me to Jack's Bacon Cheeseburger pizza a few months ago. Supermarket pizza at it's most non-glorious. The sauce is a bit spicy for me, but for some reason I like it anyway. I seem to be the only person in the house who feels this way.

When I was a teenager I ate the stuff they sold at a regional convenience store. My mom called it cardboard pizza. In retrospect it was not very good, but at the time it seemed great. Isn't it amazing the things you can/will eat when you're young?
Chez_Jose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ok, we all know that it's almost impossible to find "bad" pizza, because nearly any pizza is a good one"..........

I'd have to disagree,
Think Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc.
Corporate pizza makes money due to the masses lack of taste, but it's not pizza. In fact, it's not really food.
On the other hand, I have to say that although I'm not proud of the fact, I have thrown a DiGiorno into the oven at 2 AM occasionally.
Probably some kind of masochistic thought brought on by hunger. Laughing
songbird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the masses don't lack taste so much as they lack the knowledge that there is something better. I can only comment on what I have actually eaten and my experience is certainly somewhat limited by both means and age.

I think the main reason that corporate pizza makes money is that people don't realize they can make pizza at home. Once again, a knowledge issue. Though I must argue for those who actually like the taste. It may be that they just haven't tasted anything better, but they have the right to like whatever pizza they want.

Chez Jose, I was puzzled by your comment that corporate pizza is not even food. How do you define food?
cmdeloma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: not all pizza is edible Reply with quote

Growing up in the Northeast, I used to think that even bad pizza wasn't all that bad.

But since moving to Austin, Texas, I can without a shadow of a doubt tell you that there is some pizza that is absolutely disgusting, and it's not only the chain pizzerias to which I give the bad rap.

You'd think pizza wouldn't be that hard to screw up. But in Texas, it's so hard to find good pizza, not just good, but edible pizza.
Warren M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: not all pizza is edible Reply with quote

cmdeloma wrote:
Growing up in the Northeast, I used to think that even bad pizza wasn't all that bad.

But since moving to Austin, Texas, I can without a shadow of a doubt tell you that there is some pizza that is absolutely disgusting, and it's not only the chain pizzerias to which I give the bad rap.

You'd think pizza wouldn't be that hard to screw up. But in Texas, it's so hard to find good pizza, not just good, but edible pizza.

I've never had pizza in Austin but there is good pizza in the Dallas area. On my first visit to Texas I visisted a place called Joe's Pizza and Pasta. (There are several of them in the DFW area.) I was skeptical of the sign in their window: "New York Syle Pizza"

However, it was very good. When the cashier asked me how it was I said: "It really is like the pizza in New York. Very good."

The cook, who had overheard me, came out of hte kitchen smiling and showed me a New York drivers license with a Bronx addres on it.

"No wonder it's good!" I said.
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez_Jose wrote:
"
I'd have to disagree,
Think Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc.

Agreed, but I kinda like Pizza Hut. Dominoes, to me, was disgusting...
firerose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if all "corporate" pizza doesn't even count as food (that seems a bit much). I really like Old Chicagos and California Pizza Kitchen, for example, and both of those are "corporate". My major problem with a lot of the bigger chains is that their pizza is so greasy that they can get away with not using quality, fresh ingredients (you probably wouldn't be able to taste the difference to be honest... Confused )
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember about the "corporate" pizza is, no two shops are necessarily alike. Oh, sure, they have the same recipes, same standards, but not the same energy or impetus. Albert speaks of "spiritual" pizza - and if making pizza is just your job, and you don't put yourself into it, well..... it's going to lack that extra something, that certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes all the difference.... that pizza energy.

I think that is part of what makes the home made pizza distinct - it's "spiritual" pizza, imbued and endued with energy, rather than being someone's livelihood. That, and the sausage is real Italian sausage rather than aardvark..... and the cheese is real - if you know what I mean, and I think you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
firerose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are some people make pizza for a living and really put their hearts and souls into it. I just don't think they work for, say, Dominos. Those people tend to open up their own restaurants. I used to work at a place that was know for that, but then the chef/owner passed it along, and there went the quality and the "certain je ne sais quoi" as dfandreatta put it.
pizzacrazy12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i would agree with you. but here is one thing that different people like different test, so it may be the reason of your bad experience.
mkayius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only one visit at a Jets Pizza restaurant, and that was the end of it. I like they offer nice discounts for their products, but I can`t say they offer the same quality as Pizza Hut or Domino`s. But that`s only me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Who makes the best pizza? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: