The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Questions about pepperoni...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Name your favorite pizza toppings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Questions about pepperoni... Reply with quote

David asks:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you have a way of choosing peperoni for your pizza.

When I went to buy peperoni, of course you will find more than one kind and even some that are not even refrigerated.
Are peperonis supposed to have a puddle of grease on top after you cook your pizza?
I have eaten pizza like this and have had to soak up the grease with some napkins. Thanks Bro. and have a fun and safe trip.
David O.

My response:

Great question Dave.

I am not a pepperoni expert. for me it is hit and miss. Where I live there are not a lot of choices.

I buy what I like.

Any opinions here about pepperoni?

How do you choose pepperoni? What do you look for?

thanks in advance,

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to choose pepperoni, in my opinion, is to try what is available, and go with what you prefer.

I have tried several different types, including the sliced stuff in a package, as well as "stick" pepperoni - which is essentially what it looks like - that I slice a little thicker to suit my tastes. A stick is usually about 1" in diameter, although some commercial packers will make "pizza pepperoni" which is about twice the diameter, but is not as dry, so that it doesn't wind up being crispy little disks on top of your pizza.

Pepperoni is always going to have some fat - it's essentially salami, which is usually made from pork and beef, and includes quite a bit of fat. Some has chicken included - eh..... no thanks, chicken and turkey sausages don't appeal much to me.

Being a cured sausage (they hang it to cure for 6 to 8 weeks), it does not necessarily have to be cooked. You could try cooking it in a pan to remove much of the fat, then put it on your pizza before (i.e., under) the cheese so it does not dry out too much.

Hope that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Name your favorite pizza toppings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: