The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
fresh pasta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Discussion about making pasta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
footballron

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: fresh pasta Reply with quote

I have recently been making fresh pasta but have a question about how long should you let it dry before cooking fresh pasta?
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drying time for pasta will vary depending on the environment. Very thick or large homemade pasta can take hours or even days. Thin pasta should dry relatively quickly. The environment makes all the difference. A humid environment will require a longer drying time than a dry one.

Once it's completely dry (it is brittle and crisp), it can be stored in an airtight container. Homemade pasta now can be stored in a cupboard or other secure location, or even frozen. It will last this way for several months.

You can cook homemade pasta immediately if you want (which I usually do) or you can dry it until it doesn't stick together and store it for later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Can't Wait... Reply with quote

I agree with you Papa Don.

I immediately cook my pasta. Although, it usually does dry out for an hour or two as I get all of my other food preparation out of the way.

pizza and pasta,

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
footballron

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: fresh pasta Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. my concern with fresh was that it seemed to be a little soft, not al dente whenever i would cook it right away.
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you allow your homemade pasta to dry until it's "brittle" you are essentially rehydrating it when you cook it.

If you don't dry it so long, it will take much less time to cook "al dente". Whereas boxed, dried pasta may take 10-12 minutes to cook (depending on what type of pasta you are using), fresh pasta will take much less than that, only a few minutes, because there is already much more moisture content.

My first experiences with fresh pasta was with what I bought at the grocery store (i.e. "Buitoni" or the like). That stuff is still pliable, not stiff. Cooking times are much shorter, and I found I liked the fresh pasta much more than the dried, boxed stuff.

That's not to say the dried, boxed pasta isn't as good. It's a matter of personal taste and preference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Discussion about making pasta All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: