The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Pasta machines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Discussion about making pasta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Pasta machines Reply with quote

I have found there is no comparison between the dried box stuff off the shelf and fresh, whether store bought or home made.

I have recently started making pasta at home. I have a Marcato Atlas 150 pasta machine - it's all manual labor.

Any comments on any of the machines that mix the dough, extrude, etc.?

Ron Popeil hawked a pretty nice looking and reasonably priced unit. Anyone have one of those who would like to comment?

There are also several others that do the mixing and pipe the pasta through a die.

I am looking to do more of this, and wondering what works best for those of you who are pasta aficianados.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: pasta machines Reply with quote

I also have a Mercado Hand Cranked Pasta Machine.

I have made pasta a number of times, but I certainly do not feel I am an expert by any means. I think the pasta machine works great.

Here is the basic idea with the pasta machine: I first make the pasta dough by hand, then, let it rest for a short while and you are ready to go.

I certainly think a kitchen aide or heavy duty food processor works great. I have used both several times and they do a great job. I like the feel of kneading my pasta dough by hand, however.

I have an easy recipe here:
http://www.pastatherapy.com/howtomakepasta.htm

Pasta dough is much harder to work with than pizza dough.

I think the concept of the pasta machine is two-fold. First you want to continue to knead the dough. I think that is why you need to run it through the pasta machine so many times.

Secondly you want to flatten and shape the dough to the final shape you want.

A number of years ago, I recieved one of Ron P.'s pasta machines. It is different than a mercado pasta machine in that it extrudes the dough through a small opening.

After using it to make a batch of pasta, it broke and stopped running. I immediately contacted the maker and they sent me another machine. That one broke as well. I never even got a chance to taste homemade pasta from it...

I would love to hear other opinions. My opinion is, do not waste your time or money on extruding pasta machines. But that is my opinion.

The money you invest in a well made pasta machine will make pasta for many years.
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog

Last edited by pizza on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
chefrockyrd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: pasta extruders are a waste of time and money Reply with quote

I have been making pasta for years. I grew up on the stuff and continue to make it all the time. Unless you have the $$$ to purchase a really expensive (like $2,000 and up!) commercial pasta extruder with brass dies don't waste your money on any home style unit.
In my opinion they make lousy pasta. The only machine I have found to be somewhat ok, but tempermental is the Cuisinart attachment. But you must have the dough exactly the right consistancy or it is trouble.

I have made perfectly silky beautiful pasta with a hand crank machine, just like my mother did. Although most of the time she rolled it by hand with a thin dowel as her mother did.

Your best bet is to continue with what you have - a hand crank model. Make the dough in a food processor or heavy duty mixer and then let it rest and roll it out with the machine. If you don't have the muscle, enlist a family member to crank it for you or purchase a motor attachment.
GAWD, I LOVE home made pasta! I get marriage proposals everytime I make it for guests.
chefrockyrd
AAndreatta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Pasta makers Reply with quote

Until I was recently given a Marcato Atlas 150 for my birthday, I bought the "fresh" pasta from the market, which I considered to be far better than the stuff from the box. Now that I have the pasta maker, I will never go back.
footballron

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: pasta machines Reply with quote

i have an older model Ampia 150 which i think works just fine. getting the dough the right consistenty seems to be the real key for me. the manuals are a good way to include a friend/family member in a truly enjoyable task. i involve my granddaughters and they have a ball, and then cannot wait to eat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Discussion about making pasta All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: