The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
A Leathery Crust from Baking on a Pizza Stone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: A Leathery Crust from Baking on a Pizza Stone... Reply with quote

Michael writes:

Quote:
The issue that I am at a deadlock is the baking directly on
the pizza stone without a screen or pan. We are limited buy the 550
degree limitation
of our home ovens. I would love to bake directly on the stone
but itproduces that tough texture (on the bottom) that I dislike,
to the extent that it ruins the pizza experience. I am forced back to the
pans, which I can produce an excellent pie. I wish they produced an oven
that is pactical for home use, not those wood and coal burning ovens. That are notpractical.
At least for me.

Michael

My response:
To get a softer dough try using bread flour...
I prefer the crust a little tough myself.
Please let me know if it helps...

Michel writes back:
Quote:
I have been trying many types of flour, including bread flour.
Giusto's Artisan Unbleached Bread Flour was my latest attempt. I've used
many typesof Hi-Gluten flour also. The problem seems to be the 550 degree max of myoven. Not the flour. Ive experimented with oil and that softens the doughbut it is still leathery on the bottom when baked directly on the stone.

I am at a loss as to how to help Michel, except perhas to have
him use a little more water to hydrate the dough...

I don't know...

Pizza experts an you give some advice?

thanks in advance...
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
goman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Tough dough in a home oven Reply with quote

You will always get a crispy outer shell-including the bottom-when the dough is baked directly on a stone. Most prefer it that way as long as the inside of the crust is soft and airy. The way to get this is with a higher hydration recipe and less kneading.

I know the inclination is to knead the heck out of it to make it stretchy but if you use an autolyse and overnight fermentation, you can get a great crust in a home oven on a stone at 550 degrees. I suggest a recipe with only bread flour, yeast, sea salt and water. No oil. Sugar or honey is optional and can aid in getting some more color in the the crust.

Mix the ingredients in your mixer just until thoroughly combined and turn the mixer off for 10 minutes. This is the autolyse period that will help with gluten formation. Then knead on low for 5 minutes, rest for 5, then knead another 5 on low. The dough will be very soft and not stay in a ball on the dough hook. This is a good thing and with liberal flour on your board it will not be difficult to handle. Put the dough in a large bowl in the fridge overnight and take it out about 2-3 hours before pizza time. Use enough flour on your hands and board to make your dough balls without sticking.

Use some flour on your peel and slide the pizza right onto the stone at the highest heat you can get - preheated for at least 1.5 hours

Look around the various forums for a high hydration recipe and experiment. The overnight fermentation adds so much flavor.
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Excellent advice... Reply with quote

Thanks so much goman.

What you said makes so much sense.

Thanks very much for sharing your pizza knoledge here.

pizza all oaver Rhode Isand,

albert
The Pizza Promoter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: