The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Caputo tippo 00 flour combined w/ all purpose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbach97

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Caputo tippo 00 flour combined w/ all purpose? Reply with quote

I've read that tippo 00 flour makes the best pizza's. I've used it with mixed results compared to all purpose unbleached flour. I've read that in Italy they actually mix their 00 flour with some of our all purpose flour to achieve the perfect mix. Has anyone else heard about this? And what portion/ ratio is best to mix them? Question
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best pizzas" is pretty subjective. It's all according to what YOU like. Some people like those frozen things they buy at the grocery, others would never touch them.

But, as for the flour, you can find more information on that at http://www.ochef.com/830.htm - the subject of the science of breads and doughs is pretty amazing to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
goman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that using half Caputo 00 (make sure it is pizza flour, not pasta flour) and half unbleached bread flour works well in my home oven.

Depending on how highly hydrated your dough is and the temp. of your oven you need to experiment a little. The higher the heat the higher the hydration of the dough. Hydration meaning amount of water compared to amount of flour. If you can get your oven to 500 degrees or higher and use a pizza stone you should get good results by making a dough that is very soft and just past the point of being sticky. Make it the day before, keep it in the fridge overnight and let it warm up for 2 hours.

I use all Caputo flour in my wood fired pizza oven for my catering business and I would not use anything else. Keep in mind that the pies are cooking at 700-900 degrees in about 2 minutes.
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Great results with Caputo....Right on goman! Reply with quote

I recently did a blind taste test using several different flours, including all purpose, bread flour and caputo. I also tried several other different combinations.

I have to agree with goman

Caputo as a stand alone or combined with other flours came out on top...

The problem for me is the price and avialability of caputo...
but if I have it I'll use it.

I got great results,

pizza everywhere
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog

Last edited by pizza on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
goman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Caputo Flour availability Reply with quote

I am able to buy 55 lb. bags of Caputo 00 pizza flour at a Boston supplier but many people may not be able to find a supplier within driving distance. Smaller quantities can be purchased from internet sellers but you sometimes pay almost as much for shipping as for the flour itself.

I found the best pricing at Pennsylvannia Macaroni Co. www.pennmac.com
or Surfas Supply www. surfasonline.com

If you are anywhere near a good sized metro area you may be able to find a supplier within driving distance if you do some google searching and phone calls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: