The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
store bought shredded cheese

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
007bond-jb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: store bought shredded cheese Reply with quote

I don't know if you'all ever noticed read the ingredients list on say Kraft or other shredded cheese packages, cellulose is listed. cellulose= paper dust. They use it to prevent it from sticking Shocked Buy your cheese in block form, to grate soft cheese's like mozz. put it in the freezer for 30min or so. Cool Many famous pizzarias don't bother to grate they use a meat slicer to slice their cheese Wink
Vince120

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Cellulose is not paper Reply with quote

Hi 007

Technically, cellulose is not paper, rather, long chain polysaccharides (sugars) from plants and yes, trees. Cellulose is found in the skin of plant cells. While it may sound funny, it is a completely natural product. Like you though, I have found shredding my own cheese far superior, what about others here? I also find very thin slices very effective for both flavor and the visual.

Vinny
songbird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shredding drives me nuts, and I don't have the time. But if I did have the time, I'd try it again. Maybe I've gotten better.

Thanks for the tip about the freezer, jb. Cool
KC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Shreddin' cheese Reply with quote

Shredding cheese is a snap if you have a Kitchenaid with the shredding attachment. I even get a kick out of shredding the stuff. Laughing
songbird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't have a Kitchen Aid. Just my Grandmother's old grater/shredder/slicer box looking metal thing.
KC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a worthy cause to save for! There is soooo much you can do with a Kitchenaid and it saves you so much time. If you cook much at all I would personally recommend getting one at some point.

Even if you just put a buck a day away you could have that sucker in less than a year. Shoot for the pedestal model where the bowl moves up and down as opposed to the mixer head moving. I would also recommend getting the highest wattage motor you can find too.

There are several folks selling the remanufactured models on eBay. It's a good place to go and lust over them. Twisted Evil

Good luck!
Moo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shredded and used packaged shredded so far. Both ways the pizza turns out good, as long as the pie doesn't stick to the peel and 1/4 of the toppings slide off onto the stone.. But the pizza turns out pretty good anyway, even if that were to happen. Smile Microplane looks like it has some good shredding tools if you lack finances and space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: