The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Grill top pizza stone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AAndreatta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Grill top pizza stone? Reply with quote

Has anybody used one of these? Do you think there is any advantage over using a regular pizza stone on the grill?

http://ww5.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?skus=6899405&cat=82&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=FRO&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=outgaci&cm_ite=Grill-Top%20Pizza%20Stone
007bond-jb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: grill top stone Reply with quote

I haven't used one cause my oven heats to 750deg. but I hear a Lodge cast iron pizza griddle works just as well. (I use a stone in my oven)
neonneon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill top pizza stone? Reply with quote

aandreatta wrote:
Has anybody used one of these? Do you think there is any advantage over using a regular pizza stone on the grill?

Hah. That's funny... I was wondering the same thing! I just saw this yesterday, and was wondering how it would work...

A bit on the expensive side, I must say...
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of no reason why a "regular" pizza stone would not work on a grill. Unless you're concerned that being over a charcoal fire would discolor it, I would think your run-of-the-mill pizza stone would be fine.

I have one that I have not used, I'll try it and post my results here. Until I found pizzatherapy, I didn't even know what good it was!

"Papa Don"
Tampa, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
goodfeste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Grill Top Pizza Stone Reply with quote

I love outdoor cooking, so I'm 'way in favor of perfect grilled pizzas. I think if you Google "grilled pizza," (or words to that effect) you'll find a raised metal grill contraption that's marketed specifically for grilling pizza over coals or whatever. It's about the same money as your grilling stone.

As regards to your grilling stone and my grill contraption, in either case I'd worry about the pizza's underside grilling much hotter and faster than the top. All the "grilled pizza" talk I've read on the Internet suggests that some kind of lid covering the whole pizza will get more heat to the top of the pizza, so that it grills somewhat evenly. That was the primary concern online -- the quest for nice, even grilling of the whole pie. Those who have been successful said that the finished product is a standout feast.
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my stone out and looked at it.... it's a whole 13" across. I don't think I can make a pizza that small..... mine usually go a good 18" in diameter. But, I can try, though!

And, try, I will!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vince120

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Day everyone

I've done the stone on the grill a couple of times, enough to know it's doesn't work well at all at higher temperatures, even with the lid on, the bottem will most likely burn before the top is done. If you subscribe to Cooks Illustrated website, you can also see their results are the same as my experience. Keep the heat low may produce better results. FYI I use a 7/8in thick cordite stone.

Happy grilling

Vinny
djh23mcl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use a stone at all on the grill. The pizza is great without it.
Vince120

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dj and Df, my original idea with the stone on the grill was merely to get higher oven temperatures, simulating a wood or gas fired pizza oven. Looking at the ovens themselves, they have specifically designed domed ceilings to cook the top of the pizza just as fast as the bottom. Now if I could re-create that domed roof, that would be great, any ideas???

Vinny

P.S. I've tried flat objects like a second pizza stone with little success.
djh23mcl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Amazon and type in "Grill Pizza Stone." People seem very happy with theirs. Some question why it is so expensive.

Other people seem to be able to cook their pizzas in a home oven during the cleaning cycle. You would definitely get the temps you want. This could be dangerous and would require some doing (cutting the oven door lock). I am not saying I recommend it. I haven't tried it myself.
Vince120

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI again DJ, thanks for the 411, I have to ask, who do you know that's happy with their $99 grill top pizza stone? When I go to Amazon, I don't see any reviews for it. I do have a self cleaning cycle on my oven but I'm not going to touch that one. I appreciate your thoughts though!

Vinny
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfandreatta wrote:
I got my stone out and looked at it.... it's a whole 13" across. I don't think I can make a pizza that small..... mine usually go a good 18" in diameter. But, I can try, though!

And, try, I will!

And I have. I've done a couple now, in the oven, using the pizza stone. I have to say that I am impressed with how the crust came out. I preheated it for about 45 minutes. Slid the pie on with the peel and let it bake for about 15 minutes. I've been doing all of my pizza on a charcoal grill, so this has been a new experience.

Now I want to move to using a stone on the grill.....
chefrockyrd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: $$$ pizza stones in the oven or on the grill? Reply with quote

I just read thru all the messages on this topic and had to comment. I have dropped a lot of $$$ at William Sonoma over the years but don't see a need for this item. Its good looking that is for sure.

In my humble opinion you can make great pizza right on the grill itself without a stone.
dfandreatta said that their stone was preheated for 45 minutes! I preheat my gas grill (with 3 burners) on high for 15 minutes. I get everything ready.
My dough is rolled out on a peel and ready to put on the grill and my toppings are sitting nearby on a tray, ready to go. A large cutting board and pizza cutter are near by.
You can't walk away from it and must work quickly closing the lid to keep the heat in. That cooks the topping.
I have cooked multiple crusts like this and then finished them when my guests are ready to eat them.

chefrockyrd
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Great Grill Discussion Pizza Fans... Reply with quote

There are several methods for cooking pizza on a grill.

Some people like the pizza stone method, whereby an actual pizza stone is heated directly on the gill.

Others like the indirect heat method where by the coals are piled on either side of the grill and the dough is indirectly cooked by being placed in the middle of the coals.

The method I have used is the direct heat method. I put the dough directly over the hot coals. You need to be careful because the dough could turn to charcoal if you are not careful.

After cooking one side of the pizza, I take it off the grill cooked side up and put toppings on the cooked side, as I normally would.

Amazingly, I have never had a problem with the dough sticking to the grill. I do not know why, but it works.

I then slide the uncooked side right back onto the grill. After the dough has started to cook, I slide a pizza pan under the dough, to cook it the rest of the way and to allow the cheese to melt.

Of course the pizza pan gets very very hot so you need to be careful when you take it off the grill.

I use my metal pizza peel to take the pizza pan off the grill.

Anyway that is my method. I still say: do whatever works for you.

But there is no taste quite like pizza cooked on a grill...

pizza on earth and on grills!
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: