The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
pizza toppings!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Name your favorite pizza toppings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastaqueen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: pizza toppings! Reply with quote

I LOVE bacon, tomato and creamy English cheddar or stilton ............. the English cheeses melt to a dream-like consistency ........
bacon needs to be sauteed until very crisp & brittle ........... tomatoes are chopped or sliced, salted lightly with sea salt and rested for a while for the excess juice to run out .......
first layer the softened, room-temperature English cheese - Trader Joe's sells a caramelized onion English cheddar - then the tomato, and finally, as much bacon as your digestive system can handle.
bake on a pre-heated, 500 degree pizza stone ..............
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: You are making my mouth water... Reply with quote

Now we're talking...this is a grerat suggestion.

I love this combination for pizza.

I have used some of the ingredients you have mentioned on pizza a number of times. The tastes really seem to work well together.

There really is something about bacon, cheese and tomato on pizza.

This is an amazing marriage of flavors....

thanks for this one pastaqueen!

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
salarmlassie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love bacon on pizza. Well, to be honest, I just always love bacon! But the pizza I always loved was a white pizza with black olives, broccoli and garlic. LOTS of garlic. My son was not even walking yet and all I had to do was bring one of those into the house and he'd start hammering on his high chair tray for a slice of his own!!
pastaqueen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: thanks for the kind words! Reply with quote

Hi, Albert ...........
Thanks for the kind words regarding the bacon/tomato/English cheddar pizza topping ..... just to let your readers know this blend ALSO makes a GREAT "SAUCE" for pasta --- particularly, short, tubular pasta like penne. Before adding the softened cheese, toss the HOT pasta with a tablespoon or two of cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil. Gently stir in cheese and as it begins to melt and blend in, then combine the tomatoes and bacon.
I used to make this as a pasta "sauce' quite often ..... not so much nowadays because it IS loaded with calories and saturated fat .... but for a special occasion, this is the BEST!
P.S. 4 or 5 cloves of sliced garlic does not detract at all ...
Galena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Favorite Topping Reply with quote

Crawfish and Andouille Sausage has become my family's favorite topping.....and of course that is over home made pizza sauce and shredded mozzerella, topped with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil...baked to perfection, served with fresh red pepper flakes and a sprinkle of romano cheese.....Yum! Laughing [img][/img]
fat tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: stilton? Reply with quote

what is stilton? sry.. just had to ask..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solarcoreg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Anchovies and spinach Reply with quote

I love anchovies. I do believe they are my favorite topping of all time. And yes, I know there are more people who dislike this deliciously salty goodness than those who love it like me. Spinach pizza is also very very yummy and I could eat that all day as long as the crust was fairly thin.
Put some garlic on the spinach one and holy circular fantasy, I'd be in heaven. Very Happy
bundyal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: old fashioned Reply with quote

Maybe Im old fashioned but I still like the old standby sausage and cheese pizza. Un fortunately I cant seem to find a good sausage to use here in Alabama.Can anyone help? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
room237

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Favorite Toppings Reply with quote

I've had almost everything on pizza but my favorites are:

goat cheese or feta cheese
sundried tomatoes (I love almost any tomatoes, actually)
spinach
garlic (pile it on!)

sometimes:
mushrooms (depends on the pizza)
pesto
artichokes
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, do you put these toppings on a red sauce, or a white sauce? Tell us more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Javea Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first started making Pizza from scratch in the mid '70's when we lived in Copper Harbor at the end of the Keewenaw Peninsula in the middle of Lake Superior. At that time we only went into town (we go town!) to shop every other week. I had a new daughter (Sara) and a very small income!

Toppings (options):

- for cheeses we've loved parmesan/romano, hard mozzarella, and cheddar. Of course soft fresh mozzarella and goat cheeses are great on top! Any cheese will work into a pizza somewhere! ( I try and put the harder/drier cheeses below so they melt and don't dry out/burn)

- for meats we've used pepperoni, chorizo, ham, bacon (cooked and drained first), proscuitto, chicken, pork, fresh egg, shrimp, anchovies......do you know the number one pizza ingredient in Japan is calamari (squid)?

- for vegetables.....diced or sliced.....tomatoes, onions, all color peppers, hot pepper rings, jalapenos, green onions, capers, squashes, mushrooms, eggplant, artichoke hearts, olives.....what do you like? brocolli?, cauliflower, .....anything goes..... In fact one of my favorite pizzas, the "Polish pizza" is done with saurkraut and smoked polish sausage where the cheese has melted down into the kraut....mmmmm

- for flavors....add a little of anything you like...ground black pepper, dollops of the tomato or pesto sauce, olive oil, BBQ sauce, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, chives, garlic, roasted garlic....again, these and a lot of things can be integrated into a great pizza.
- these fall into basic categories....cheeses, vegetables, proteins and flavors.

- I use a "logic sequence" when building a pizza. The first items on are the ones that I want to cook less or items that don't need cooking....like pre cooked/drained bacon, tomatoe slices or pepperoni. I build to the top and end with things that can stand the heat better....like peppers and onions.

- I started putting a little grated cheese on the dough first to keep it from sliding and I've used a little cheese sprinked throughout to spread the flavor and glue the ingredients!

It's all good......
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds good! Looks like you have the "science" of pizza well in hand!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very favorite topping is an olive oil/garlic/onion "sauce" topped with lobster, brie, and roasted red peppers. HEAVEN on a slice!

My next favorite is a pesto "sauce" with thinly sliced red or white onions, chicken chunks, fresh mozzarella, fresh spinach or spinach and arugula mix, fresh basil, I'm missing something else here and I can't remember - - - - - mmm oh, roasted red peppers - gotta have them!
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Large Bacon - I don't believe any topping that someone wants to put on their pizza is "illegal" - and of course I don't mean that literally. That is exactly what "cooking" is all about. Everyone has different tastes. That's good, not bad. Cool
Large Bacon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: how do you prepare the artichokes? Reply with quote

are those really on the pizza or on the side? seems rather large to go on a pie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Name your favorite pizza toppings All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: