The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
American Pie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: American Pie Reply with quote

Has anyone purchased this book? It sounds like a good read.
RD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: American Pie Reply with quote

I just finished reading it. It is well written and pretty interesting. Especially the first part of the book where Peter is conducting his search for the "perfect" pizza. The second part of the book contains pizza and sauce recipes. I would recommend it. Peter is an advocate of the long, cool fermentation period. It's a good read.

I haven't tried any of his recipes yet but plan to in the near future. I am also searching for a really good recipe to use. (I am kind of new to this whole make-your-own-pizza thing.) I have so many different recipes to try but don't eat pizza every week so it will take awhile to get throught them all.
Ron
djh23mcl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Book! I also loved the first section and plan to follow in some of his footsteps.

The second half is also great. He understands people will be making pizza at home and writes the book with only them in mind. The big difference I find with this author is that he advocates using the least amount of yeast possible in most recipes (and slow-refrigerated fermentation, but many others also agree with this). He does explain things nicely, especially for beginners.

It has taken me a few attempts but I make great pizza now, at home. One thing that is not stressed much is oiling the top of the dough just before putting on the sauce. Since my oven can only get to 500 degrees and take a little longer to cook, the sauce would bleed too much into the dough and become too soggy. Since applying a thin "barrier" of olive oil before putting on the sauce, my crust is much better and holds up.

Also, I know it isn’t too sophisticated, but I usually like to put my pizza on parchment paper and cook it on the paper for about 3 minutes before removing the paper. Although this causes some heat reduction, it saves me from having to clean up an entire pizza on the floor of my oven. I have really only done that once, but I usually have a beer or two while making the pizza, so I would rather be safe than sorry after all the work I put into the pizza.

I say if you can get one good idea out of a book, it is worth it. You will get many in this book.
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: A Review of American Pie Reply with quote

I totally agree with all of the positive comments. This is a must have pizza book for your collection.

I was fortunate enough to get an advance copy of "American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza".

I was very impressed with the book because Peter in the first half discusses his quest for pizza perfection.

In the second part of the book, he tells you how to make all of the pizzas he discussed in the first half. He claims to be able to know all of the ingredients of a pizza just by tasting it.

I wrote a review of American Pie. Here are the links:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/279922/review_of_the_book_american_pie_my.htm

http://pizzatherapy.com/ameripie.htm
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog

Last edited by pizza on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reviews, guys!

I will definitly be picking up a copy soon, online somewhere - I can see this is a must-have book. Cool
pizzacrazy12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American pie rocks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: