The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Dough... sauce... toppings....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Dough... sauce... toppings.... Reply with quote

Some say it's the dough, or crust, that makes the pizza. Others say it's the sauce. But what about the other stuff, the toppings, that we put on our pizza? How much do you think each element affects the final result? What is the relationship between the dough, the sauce, and the toppings? What's the balance?

I always try to make sure nothing is overdone. I think spices, ingredients and flavors should complement one another, and should "marry". Does the thickness, and/or doneness of the crust make a difference. Does it matter if the moz is on top of the other ingredients, or vice-versa?

What about mushrooms? I sautee sliced baby portabellas in red wine only before I put them on the pizza, which I do on a charcoal grill, exclusively, because I am spoiled that way now.

And sausage and pepperoni.... is there some ratio that works best for you? And other ingredients as well.

Does anyone put ABT's on their pizza? That might be a great combination!

Pizza is considered to be such a staple food, and yet it is so complex as we see here in the forums, so many great people who have so many great ideas and recipes.

Your opinion is invited on this relationship between the parts and the whole.

"Papa Don"
Tampa, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Papa Don. Very Happy

Quote:
I always try to make sure nothing is overdone

Me too. I sometimes like extra cheese (being from WI. maybe??), and other times I like extra sauce if it comes from the right place. I like a sweet sauce, myself. I love mushrooms if they are good quality but not overloaded. I need to taste everything else too. I ALWAYS get thick crust because for me thats what I enjoy the most. A good thick crunchy crust with quality toppings! I prefer Italian sausage and pepperoni in moderation. I know some people that can't get enough cheese, or can't get enough extra sauce. I like to be able to pick up my pizza when I eat it.

Quote:
I sautee sliced baby portabellas in red wine only before I put them on the pizza, which I do on a charcoal grill, exclusively
Thanks for that tip! That really sounds great - I will be trying that soon.

I think it all boils down to what each person likes. There are SOO many variations. If I had to make a pizza for everyone in the world, it would be a simple thin crust cheese pizza with very little sauce I guess.
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the thing is, there are so many variations to this. And as you said, it's all up to what a person likes. That's what makes this such a great forum, because somebody says "I tried corn on my pizza..." Who ever heard of that? Well, we have, now. And now it's something to consider. What about some good roasted corn on the cob, roasted on the grill, then you cut it off the ear and put it on a pizza. Man! We use corn meal, why not the whole kernel? Or maybe the half kernel!

Bottom line: go for it! If you try it, and like it, let us know! In fact, if you don't like it, let us know. We might like it anyway! I mean, who likes steamed okra on a pizza? Surely, somone has done that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pastaqueen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: love reading everyone's suggestions & thoughts Reply with quote

there are so many creative pizza makers out there!!!!! Every time I read the posts, I get hungry for a pizza ...........
Please continue to post your appealing ideas; it's quite empowering to all pizza-lovers .............
and let's not forget the dessert pizzas!
When I was a kid growing up in southern Connecticut, "Italian-bread" dough was used for lots of things, not the least of which was being fried. When still hot, the mini fried "puffed" pizzas were drowned in cinnamon-sugar ---- to this day, that is STILL my favorite sweet treat (and I'm almost 60 yrs old!)
firerose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get extra sauce because for me, it's the sauce that completely "makes or breaks" the pizza. I think my favorite topping combo is chicken, feta, onion, jalapeno, bacon, tomato, ang garlic. Something about that many flavors melding togeather really works for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: