The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
High Gluten Flour Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: High Gluten Flour Issues Reply with quote

Dan writes:

Hi Albert-

Happy Holidays!!!!

Thanks for all your hard work with the news letter. I really enjoy it.

I have a problem I want to run by you. I have been making pizza at home for about 3 years. In fact I'm now doing a pizza day once a week where my friends and Fireman at the Station call in orders. Never thought my home cooking would get this far.

Anyway, in many crust recipes high gluten flour is highly recommended. I have been happy with bread flour and found a formula that works very good.

I finally got a 25lb pack of high quality high gluten flour. But am very unhappy with the results. The crust never really cooks in the center all the way and it tends to be a bit on the tough or should I say chewy side. Using it as a hand tossed or pan pizza flour has even worse results.

Could this be because of lack of heat in the oven. I use a stone that preheats for an hour before use. Even at that, I can only get my ovens internal temp with stone to 450/475.

Seems to be just the right flour for a NY style pizza. But certainly not what we are used to in Chicago. Any ideas.

In the mean time I have followed a journey for the last two years to re-create my grandmothers Scotch Pie recipe.

This is a meat pie with a free standing shell or crust. I had a baker from Scotland send me a 600lb machine to make the shells and finally have succeeded in making my grandmothers recipe, which she only left bits of it to us.

The passion lives among us.

Please let me know any thought on this so called high quality flour.

Dan

My response:

Hey Dan.

I am not sure I have the answer for your issues, but I have a few suggestions.

I remember reading somewhere that if you're using high gluten flour, you may need to use a a dough mixer such as a kitchen-aide, to help mix your flour.

( Here is my review of a kitchenaide:
http://pizzatherapy.blogspot.com/search/label/kitchenaide )

You may also want to try hydrating your dough a bit more. that is add a bit more water to the dough. This may make your dough a little more crispy.

I have been using Harvest King flour with good results.

Also, I have noticed my pizza cooks better, at 500+.

I'm not sure what you can do if your oven does not get to a high enough temperature.

One work around my be to prebake your crust for a couple of minutes before you put the toppings on.

I think we may get some great comments right here at the forum?

Can anyone else help Dan?

thanks.

P.S.

Dan is a pizzaiolo as well as a creator of amplifiers for some
of most notable musicians anywhere.
(Including Buddy Guy and Omar and the Howlers)
Check out his day job business:

Butler Custom Sound
Chicago Blues Box
http://www.chicagobluesbox.com
1040 N. Dupage Ave
Lombard IL 60148

http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan:

You said "I finally got a 25lb pack of high quality high gluten flour. But am very unhappy with the results. "

Are you saying that when you switched brands of flour, the problem started? If that's the case, then then if would seem to indicate that the flour is the problem.

You can buy essential gluten and add it to your recipe.

I would investigate the possibility that this new flour you have been using is not giving you results that are to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: