The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Is Pepe's Greatness Dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Large Bacon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Is Pepe's Greatness Dead? Reply with quote

My friends in the ELm City,

would the right honorable gentlemen and gentlewomen agree?

Forgive me for going on, much like Yalie Euan Blair's father Tony, but I was horrified by Pepe's dough tonight. Am I the only one?
Large Pepperoni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Dough from last night Reply with quote

Large Bacon...I think you are right...something was up. The dough and sauce was not the same...The sauce tasted like Prego and the dough was like an Ellio's pizza from the freezer. You are not alone in thinking that. God Bless you for bringing this to others attention.
Large Pepperoni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Last Night Reply with quote

Friends...I have to be 100% honest with you and talk about my experience last night at Pepe's. I hate doing it but I feel that it is my duty and I must tell......First off, we started on a bad note because The Spot is closed in the fall and winter for most of the week. That is huge mistake...like Kevin Costner agreeing to do Waterworld II. Secondly, the service was horrible....[color=red]REMOVED DUE TO EXPLICIT LANGUAGE[/color]. Now, I know that you do not go to Pepe's for service but to wait 30 minutes to get your check when all you want to do is down more delicious beer at Liffy's is just unexcuseable. That wasn't even the worst part...let me get to the pizza. I can sum it up in 3 words...it was bad. The pizza was too saucy and the sauce was not the same. The pizza was like 1/2 well done and the other 1/2 was undercooked. It was amazing how we sat at Table 19 and right above us was a picture of Mr. Frank Pepe himself with his head down and his eyes closed. I could swear that the picture was different the last time I was there but i think even Frank Pepe knew and was ashamed of this pizza performance. This whole experience last night was ridiculous. I looked around because I thought we might have been in the Pepe's in Fairfield because everyone knows that the pizza sucks there with the greedy grandchildren hijacking the Pepe name like Gallagher's brother who also performs as Gallagher and tried to smash watermelons. Everyone knows he is an imposter but the watermelon rinds still fly. So...when I realized that I was wrong in thinking I was in Fairfield, I was very disappointed. All I can say is that I will be going to The Spot from now on only...getting service by the best waiter out there, Randy....and enjoying a good pizza pie. Frank, I hope the pizza you are serving up there in the big brick oven in the sky is crazy delicious because the one down here on earth is hell.
Large Bacon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Sadly Agreed... Reply with quote

Pepporini,
'It is truly the end of the era. Truth pizza experts of new haven know the Spot is the best, and until it is open on weeknights, its neighbor shall not see me.

In all my years of new haven pizza, I have never had worse Pepe's than last night. The red sauce reminded me of long ago, when as a kindergardener I sampled some red paint. It was tastier than the abomination served on Pepe's last night.

and the dough? THERE WAS STIll FLower, or the grandchildren's coke on our pie? I wouldn't expect such low quality if Marion Barry himself prepared my Pizza @ Domino's.
songbird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but true. One generation creates a legacy and another destroys it. Common throughout history. Wal-Mart used to be a good company once. I can't count the number of times my Mom has said Sam Walton must be rolling in his grave over what's happened to his stores.

Good things don't last forever anymore, if they ever did. So gentlemen, enjoy the good stuff while you can get it and where you can get it. Sounds like it's just time to move on.
Large Bacon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: thank you sweet songbird Reply with quote

...indeed we were driven into the arms of Modern, but we hold out hope Pepe's opens the Spot during weeknights soon again.
fire-n-ice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: thats terrible Reply with quote

i livd in new haven for many years and grew up on pepes and others its sad to hear of the decline there but its not realy a suprise infact in the 80's one of franks kids opened a second pepes in westville (suburb of new haven) on whaley ave near what used to be the cape codder restaurant and it was trash almost nothing in common with the original the sauce was junk ( the sons new recipie) same with the dough and even the ovens were not good needless to say they were gone in a few years but i can tell you for fact there was a huge fight in the family based from the sons wanted to change the recipie to save money at the original pepes so the answer became Sr. paid for the new place to be opened and let the kid run it as he wished ( i think mostly to shut him up) but i know he has been lurking with his bad ideas for many years and it seems he finaly got his way the last part i am guessing at but it seems likley
its just sad to see it go down i always imagined i could always go back and it would be the same forever
PopV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: They're still lining up outside of Pepe's Reply with quote

I never thought that Pepe's was number one. For me, Modern is the best. So, being driven into the arms of Modern is a blessing.
Enjoy the food.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: