The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
some simple questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonborn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: some simple questions Reply with quote

I'm going to try Albert's dough out. a few questions.

I have read put my stone on the bottom rack no wait middle no bottom.
( I'm so confused) I use a conventional oven that I can get to 550f.

ok next for a 14 inch pizza and a 16 inch how much should the dough ball weigh. that might have been one of my mistakes before. for 16 I was using 16 oz maybe that was to little and the crust was to thin. Well I thank you all for you time and thanks for this GREAT site.

DB(Mike)
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Great Questions... Reply with quote

Great questions.

With one stone, I always put it on the bottom rack. But the middle would work out just as well.

As far as how much dough you should use, that is a matter of taste. For my dough recipe, I get 3 or 4 very thin pizzas.

If I want a thicker crust, I cut the dough in half and only make 2.

I wish you well in all of your pizza adventures.

Please let us know how you make out.

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what my opinion is worth, I always use the center rack, whether baking on a stone (which I do very infrequently) or when I do a deep-dish pizza (for which I use a 10" springform pan - not to be confused with a Maidenform). I am a charcoal-grilled pizza maniac - not too many of mine go in the oven, although I have been doing more of the deep-dish ones - less stress there because you're not having to deal with the declining heat issues of the grill, and I have really perfected a deep-dish white pizza recipe that is not quite "to die for" but..... no, it IS to die for!

As for the amount of dough to use, I have never used weight. The recipes I use are based on volume of flour, in "cups" and I figure everything around that. From what I have read about dough and baking, the weight or volume of flour is the basis for the amount of other ingredients, including water, yeast, salt, etc. but if you want to go that way, it isn't difficult to convert the recipe, in fact, there are web sites that have tables where you just put the numbers in and it will calculate it for you.

Albert's comments about thicker/thinner crust - and his famous dough recipe - have always been right on for me. I experiment with minor changes. Of late, I have been using a deep-dish dough recipe (it basically substitutes some corn meal for some flour) for "regular" pizza because I like the way it turns out.

Serious bakers use a percentage system where each ingredient is expressed in a percentage. Me? I just want good pizza. I find what works and write it down so I can do it again. And again. And again....

Hope that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Dough Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: