The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Chuck Speaks His Mind...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pepe's Sally's, or Modern Apizza
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Chuck Speaks His Mind... Reply with quote

Chuck writes:

Hi Albert, let me settle the Sally, Pepe's Apizza controversy. The best pizza in New Haven (which is better then New Jersey pizza which makes better pizza then NYC) was The Spot. pepe's was next door.

I went to Universithy for four years in New Haven , was on Wooster street three times a week. when the spot closed because the owner died, pepe's took the spot and their brink ovens sent the apizza next door and sold take out at the original spot location.

Sally's a dryer pizza has a local following all their kids went to local school has long lines but locals can call ahead and get moved to the front of the line. pepe's more space and is next door to a great italian ice shop.
If you are in new haven go to pepe's and visit the famous SPOT eat at pepe's and avoid long lines.

The pizza is good, but the wait does matter
Sally's pizza is excellent. I don't think it's the best in New Haven, but there are many who disagree. It really depends on your taste. But even if they do have the best in the world, it doesn't matter because the wait (and the restaurant's near-criminal penchant for patron favoritism) will likely prevent you from ever tasting their pies.

Die-hard Sally's fans are dismissive of this criticism.

The wait time really does matter, and the reasons behind the wait matter even more. You see, Sally's has a habit of favoring friends and locals over the plebs who wait in their line. They call this "having reservations," but don't let the common restaurant terminology fool you. Unless you're a friend of the owner, YOU will not get reservations.

This is deeply unprofessional for a restaurant. Since 10Best's slogan is "trusted advice for travelers," I must give Sally's the lowest possible rating. If you're a traveler you aren't going to get a Sally's pie without watching a lot of people who arrived two or three hours after you eat dozens of them.

This rating is deserved but bittersweet: I really did enjoy their pies, and had friendly (if slow) service once my party was eventually seated. Our mushroom pizza had the most succulent mushrooms I've ever had on a pizza, and the basic cheese pie revealed a near-mastery of the craft.

The only reason a traveler should visit Sally's is if he or she insists on trying all of the so-called "Big Three" New Haven pizzeria's.

If you're not on a quest, Pepe's down the street serves people in the order in which they arrive (how novel!) and has greater capacity, including a second restaurant called The Spot that serves exactly the same pies with a shorter line. They also have better pizza, though that's just my opinion.

I also think Modern Apizza (a bit to the north on State Street) has the best pizza of The Big Three, and possibly in the entire universe.

Thanks so much Chuck.
pizza everywhere,

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pepe's Sally's, or Modern Apizza All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: