The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Springy dough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Springy dough Reply with quote

Does anyone know some inside tips concerning dough that is too springy? I often have trouble shaping my pie because the dough keeps springing back to its old shape. I have to roll it for a good while with a rolling pin to get it to where it finally reaches a large enough size. My recipe for making 2 - 12 inch pies is shown below. I am including all details so that maybe you can actually understand what I might be doing wrong!

2 cups bread flour (for the gluten content)
1 cup all purpose flour (to dilute the effect of the high gluten flour)
7/8 tspn active dry yeast
2 tspns sugar
1 1/4 tspn salt
1 1/4 TBSP Olive Oil
A little less than 10 oz water at 105 Degrees F

Proof yeast by adding it to about half the water. While yeast is proofing, add flour, salt, sugar, oil to food processor. Add proofed yeast and rest of the water while pulsing the processor. Pulse until ingredients mix and dough ball forms. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow dough to react. Mix dough for another 50-60 seconds with processor on steady mix mode.

On a floured surface, work dough slightly to ball and cut into two equal parts. Coat dough with flour and maybe a drop of oil, put into a plastic baggie or tupperware container, and allow to rise for 15 minutes. Refigerate at least overnight before using.

This method is supposed to allow the dough chemistry to proceed at the ideal rate to bring out the best taste and dough properties.

If you find the truth, can I be your friend?
vincevega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slice, your recipe sounds okay. If I may share mine with you.

Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe

Ingredients

By Volume
4 cups Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
1 ½, plus 2 TBL water
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dry active year

Mix the dough in a stand mix, by hand or in a bread machine. If you are using a stand mixer, mix slowly for two minutes, faster for 5 minutes and slow again for 2 minutes. With a KitchenAid stand mixer, that means level 2, then level 4, then level 2.

Cover the dough and let it rise for 2 hours, or until double. Punch it down and push out the air bubbles. Form the dough into a large ball, then cut it into 4-5 equal pieces.

To shape your pizza balls, cut a one pound dough recipe into four pieces, then shape them into balls. Gently rolling your dough into a ball, then stretch the top of the ball down and around the rest of the ball, until wraps around the other side. Pinch the ends together to make a smooth ball with a tight outer "skin." Set your ball seam-side down where it can rest. Dust your pizza balls with flour, and cover them with a damp towel, in a proofing tray, or under plastic wrap. This will prevent the outside of the ball from drying out, and becoming difficult to work with.

Your pizza balls will need about an hour to become soft and elastic after you have made it, so that it can be easily stretched into a thin crust pizza.

If you won't need your dough for more than an hour, refrigerate it until you are ready to start.

This recipe comes from a great web site that sells brick ovens.
http://www.fornobravo.com/

BTW, I like this recipe almost as much as Albert's Surprised}
vincevega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slice, I forgot to mention that Instead of the flour called for in the recipe, I use King Arthur all purpose flour, 3 cups and King Arthur white whole wheat, 1 cup. to me the whole wheat makes it a little healthier.

Later, Vince
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those recipes use quite a bit of salt. I use a teaspoon of salt in my recipe, which includes 3 cups of flour, a TBS of sugar, a TBS of olive oil, 2 tsp of yeast, a tsp of salt. I use unbleached "bread" flour and add a couple of tsp of gluten to it. I also use only turbinado sugar instead of white sugar. It goes in the breadmaker, and in 55 minutes it's ready. I usually let it rest a while before I roll it out.

There is just enough salt in mine that if you accidently leave it out (yes, I have..... how did you know?), you can tell! Keep in mind that salt will kill the yeast, while the sugar nourishes it.

Don Andreatta
Tampa, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Springy dough Reply with quote

First Im not a pizza aficianado,I do know a little something about the way flour more specificly glutton works. the solution i beleave is to either let your dough rest a little longer or dont kneed it as much. there is one other option and that would be to decrease the amount of high glutton flour in your recipe. That depends on you if you absoultly love the flavor then dont change the recipe change the amount of time you spend with it.
goodluck and enjoy
Sirder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Slice .Hi Reply with quote

The pizza Dough question ..
Now this is a Uk opinion remember

I hate buying UK Pizzas from the High St........and prefer my own
made Dough .To be as thin and as crisy as Possible .

I use a drop of oil........and rollit out ........The Dough not the olive oil Wink Wink)) tyo the thickness of a £i coin.and picck it up as if you're gonna peg it out to dry ........and move it round to stretch it .......Then give it a couple of mins in a pip Flash it in a red hot oven .and then .....Take it out and do your thing on top of it ..Wink)))))))))))))))))))

Sirder
Vince120

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Glutton glutton, who's got the glutton? Reply with quote

Interesting post Sirder, thank you for sharing that quip from across the pond.

Slice, your dough is springy because of the glutton developed from kneading. It's OK to use a lower glutton flour or don't knead it as long. Letting it rest will help somewhat but it's a pain sometimes. If these things don't work, or don't give you the crust your looking for, try a dough relaxer such as Lora Brody's dough relaxer, possible available at your grocer. I have come to use the Caputo 00 pastry flour with a very low protien content available at the King Aurthor Flour website. You have to find the right combination to get the results your really looking for.

Good Luck!
CJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coat with oil refrigerate over night.... good.

However, before I used it I would get it out and allow it to come to at least room temperature before I intended to stretch it out. The cold in the dough is causing it to retain its elastricity.

When I was making pizzas commercially this would always help combat that problem when it occurred.

'CJ'
Apizza Scholls

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydration has the biggest affect on the doughs extensibility vs elasticity. I would add more water, which will give you a much more extensible dough. This is assuming that you are trying to stretch room temperature dough and not cold dough. If the dough is still cold, cover it and let it warm up to room temperature. Cold dough, even if it has a high hydration, will be elastic when you try to stretch it, as CJ pointed out.
broval

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dough recipee sounds fine, let it sit a while to room temp, take it out of plastic bag, roll it out, spin it. Put it on corn meal sprinkled paddled, dress it, (smile at it) and slide it into your oven,

needs to be warm to roll out nicely and effortlessly so you dont fight with it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: