The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Confessions of a Pizza Dough Shortcutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PizzaHomeChef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Confessions of a Pizza Dough Shortcutter Reply with quote

I want to share a secret and perhaps liberate a few other pizza makers. Here it comes: I don't proof my yeast.--There, I said it. I used to, but it always foamed fine. I decided to start taking a chance and just including the yeast with the dry ingredients and just add water, cool or warm, depending on when and what I want from my dough. In over 15 years I've never had dough fail on me.

For anyone who just wants to dip a toe in this tactic, you could try it out when you're making a couple of batches. If the first water-yeast batch foams, and you're using the same dry yeast source for the 2nd batch of dough, try dry.
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Confessions of a Pizza Dough Shortcutter Reply with quote

PizzaHomeChef wrote:
I want to share a secret and perhaps liberate a few other pizza makers. Here it comes: I don't proof my yeast.--There, I said it.

Are you crazy!?! Laughing
I admit it too... always turned out fine for me, so far.

I have another secret from my friend that loves to make bread. I didn't try it yet but I will share later. Very Happy
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Great advice.... Reply with quote

Thanks for this great dough secret.

For the last year or so, I have been doing a cold ferment for my yeast.

I do not proof the yeast. I just add all of the ingredients together.

I knead everything together.

Then, I put the mixture in the fridge and let it proof overnight.

The dough has been coming out well.

I have had no problems using this method.

Thanks for sharing your great advice.

albert
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
PizzaHomeChef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Sigh of Pizzaiolo Relief Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance, Albert.
There is Therapy in numbers.
I really dig your site!
Checking out your whole wheat recipe today...
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Great advice.... Reply with quote

pizza wrote:

Then, I put the mixture in the fridge and let it proof overnight.

albert

I do the same thing all the time. I was chatting with my buddy who makes a lot of bread and he mentioned this:

Quote:
The overnight rise pulls the sugars from the starch in the flour and give great flavor to the dough. When doing it in the fridge, you're just retarding the process with the cold. The best loaf I've baked was made with my sourdough starter in lieu of commercial yeast, and fermented for 19 hours before baking. The flavor was fantastic.

I have yet to try this method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: