The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Italian Lasagna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pasta Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Italian Lasagna Reply with quote

Some guy took the recipe from the back of a box and claims it as his signature dish (Worlds Best Lasagna). He was on GMA a couple months ago. Too funny!

This is the recipe we started making together right after we got married (21 years ago). It is really good. I change it up to what tomatoes I have on hand, add Italian seasonings and usually use more ground beef than Italian sausage.

*I pre make early in the day and DO NOT boil the noodles (add a bit more tomato sauce to the recipe), keep in fridge until ready to bake as directed below.

Some took the recipe from the back of a box and claims it as his signature dish. He was on GMA a couple months ago. Too funny!

This is the recipe we started making together right after we got married (21 years ago). It is really good. I change it up to what tomatoes I have on hand, add Italian seasonings and usually use more ground beef than Italian sausage.

*I pre make early in the day and DO NOT boil the noodles (add a bit more tomato sauce to the recipe), keep in fridge until ready to bake as directed below.

Italian Lasagna

1/2 of a (1-pound) package CREAMETTE LASAGNA
1 pound Italian sausage
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (+) Wink
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, broken up (I like crushed, Italian seasoned)
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
1 egg, beaten
1 (15-ounce) container Ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
1 pound Mozzarella cheese, grated
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare CREAMETTE LASAGNA according to package directions; drain. Cook Italian sausage and ground beef; drain excess fat. Add onion and garlic; stir and cook 5 minutes. Add next seven ingredients (sugar, 1 T. salt, basil, fennel, pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste) and simmer 20 minutes. Combine egg, Ricotta, parsley and ½ tsp. salt. In bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish, spoon about 1 ½ cups meat sauce. Layer 1/3 of CREAMETTE LASAGNA, 1/3 meat sauce, 1/3 Ricotta, 1/3 sliced olives, 1/3 Mozzarella and 1/3 Parmesan. Repeat layering. Cover with foil. Bake in 375° oven for 25 minutes; remove foil and bake uncovered 25 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate any leftovers.

This freezes well too!

As many times as I have made it in the regular sized lasagna pan, I never got a pic. I took this a few years ago in my Trio Pan (which I LOVE)!

I made this a wee bit different, using wheat noodles (still do not boil), cut the tomato paste to 1 can, added 1 (8oz. can) tomato sauce, 1 can petite garlic tomatoes, crushed red pepper and used hot Italian Turkey sausage links (removed from casings to brown with ground sirloin). Outstanding as always!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pasta Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: