The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Sweet Vermouth Pizza Dough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Sweet Vermouth Pizza Dough Reply with quote

We LOVED this dough and it reminded us of a Sicilian pizza.
I also mixed garlic powder and olive oil and brushed the edge before adding toppings (like Hungry Howies). It rocked.

Sweet Vermouth Pizza Dough

Posted by Belinda

*makes two 12" pizzas or one 16" with a thicker crust

1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water (105*-115*F)
1/4 cup sweet vermouth
1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional for the bowl and baking sheet
1/2 tsp salt
3 to 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour - I used Bread Flour and used exactly 3-1/2 cups
Your favorite toppings

Combine yeast, water and vermouth in a large bowl and stir until the yeast is dissolved. Set aside to proof. After 5 mintues, there should be small bubbles and foam on the surface of the liquid.

Add olive oil, salt and half the flour to the bowl and mix thoroughly, adding more flour as necessary to create a soft dough. The amount of flour needed will vary with your kitchen's temperature and the day's humidity.

Lightly flour your work surface. Place dough on the work surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to keep it from sticking. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place in a clean bowl and rub the top lightly with olive oil. Turn over once or twice more to coat the entire surface of dough with oil. Cover the bowl and set in a warm place to allow it to rise one hour or until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough with your fist to deflate it. Remove dough from the bowl and divide into 2 equal pieces.

Stretch and pull half the dough into a rough 12-inch circle. You can use a rolling pin, if desired. Place dough on middle of pans and place half the sauce in the middle and spread evenly, leaving a 1/4" border of dough all the way around. Add cheese and your favorite ingredients.

Bake pizza's for 7 minutes. Reverse the baking sheets, top to bottom and front to back. Bake 8 more minutes or until the cheese melts and gets bubbly around the edges and crust begins to brown.

Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have never thought to try sweet vermouth. Thius is going on my list - I bet it tastes wickedly good. Thanks! Wink
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been contemplating using some good old red wine in that way, something like Carlo Rossi Paisano.

Add some gin to yours, and you've got a Martini Pizza!

Winston Churchill would be proud.... if you cut back on the Vermouth!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this dough the other night for a deep dish in my new Sicilian pan. It rocked! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Pizza Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: