The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Hello all, and my pizzas (modem users beware)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghaleon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Hello all, and my pizzas (modem users beware) Reply with quote

Hello, it's about time I stop just lurking and share with other pizza lovers about me. I started making my own dough a few months ago and I love it. It is a little bit of work, but if you have discipline, and love pizza as much as I do, it's worth it.

I use two recipes for the dough: my whole wheat pizza dough, and the Peter Reinheart's Neapolitana pizza dough. I got the whole pizza dough from the Internet and made a few changes to it. Peter Reinheart's dough is left intact from the book "American Pie." I didn't want to mess up with it because it was so delicious and because if you make any changes it can no longer be called Neapolitana pizza.

I have to admit the whole wheat pizza crust is not as crisp or delicious as the Neapolitana one, no matter how much I try. Oh well. I still eat the whole wheat crust a lot because I believe it's better for me (less carbs, more fiber, and more protein).

Here are the two recipes:

WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA CRUST

2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
7 oz. warm water
2 tbsp. soy flour
2 tbsp. wheat bran
1 tsp. dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey

----------

Peter Reinhart's Neapoletana Pizza Dough

5 cups (22.5 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1.75 teaspoons table salt or 3.25 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1.75 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water

Here is how I cook them: I make the dough the day before and store it in the refrigerator. I kneed it by hand. The next day I first pre-heat my toaster oven, which already has the pizza stone. The highest temperature is 450 degrees Farenheight. That's not very high, which means my pizza will never be as great as the one from a local pizza place, but it's still good.

About an hour later I shape the dough over a cutting board with flour. I them move the crust to the pizza stone and make many holes on the crust with a fork to prevent it from getting bubbles. Once the crust is golden brown I flip it over and let it continue cooking for about 2 more minutes. Yes, I have to cook the crust without any toppings at first because of the low temperature of the oven. Otherwise it will never fully cook.

After the crust is ready, I take it out, add the toppings, and put it back into the oven until the cheese is melted. If I use fruits as toppings I don't add them until the pizza is almost ready, so they don't dry.

Here are pictures of several of the pizzas I made. What do you guys think?

Tomato and Pesto

Pineapple, Orange, and Pesto

Pineapple and Orange

Pico de Gallo and Pesto

Margherita

Large Pepperoni

Large Bacon

Hot Dog

Hog Special (Ham and Bacon)

Ham, Pineapple, Goat Cheese, and Jalapeños

Chorizo and Pesto

Chicken and Pesto

Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ghaleon. Wow, awesomee pics! I must try that whole wheat recipe soon. I had it once at the local mall and it tasted like carpet... thanks for the recipe! Cool
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from another newbie! I make a couple different wheat dough’s but use a mix with AP flour as well. You should post your recipes in the recipe section with your pics.

I’ll post mine too! Cool
Thick Crust
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bean, did you see that pizza with the jalapeno slices/Canadian bacon and pineapple on it? YUM! Cool
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick Crust wrote:
Hey Bean, did you see that pizza with the jalpeno slices on it? YUM! Cool

Sure did! That's the only way to go! Mr. Green
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my gosh, Ghaleon! Thanks for those pictures! What inspiration!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love the pics! Now I want to make the pasta dish bean posted AND pizza tonight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: