The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Zippy Corn Chowder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> All Other Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Zippy Corn Chowder Reply with quote

This was so good! It is so quick to make and tastes like it simmered all day.

I didn't have a green bell pepper, so I used red and also used 5 jalapenos (and that still wasn't enough). Wink

YUMMY! Mr. Green

Zippy Corn Chowder

1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 can chicken broth (14.5 oz)
2 large red potatoes, cubed
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (up to 1/2 tsp)
3 cups frozen corn
4 green onions, chopped
3 cups milk, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Ready in 1 hour or less. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Stir in jalapeno, mustard, salt, paprika and red pepper flakes. Add corn, green onions and 2 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.

Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts)

Thin Crust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There truly is NOTHING better than a recipe with a picture!!!!!!!!!!! This is on my "must haves" for this weekend. Very Happy

I have a poblano pepper already - I will leave the ribs in it to produce the most heat - but I wonder, I might roast it first - thoughts on that bean? I want a bowl of that right now!!!!
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, roast the pepper first, I like them much better that way. I think I'll try using different peppers next time I make it. I was thinking even adding chicken next time (rotisserie). Smile
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken sounds perfect - and rotisserie chicken is even better. At Sam's they are $4.99 each. I made 80 white chicken enchiladas one time using that chicken. It was MUCH cheaper and less labor-intensive than cooking those little guys! I am making this today - that picture is KILLING me!!!!!!!!!! Cool My tastebuds are thinking cilantro. I can even see crab, scallops, or shrimp in this (if my money wants to leave my wallet that is!!) But I can still see this stuff as a possibility for a change. You're killin' me bean. I looked at your recipes and pics in the different forums - when I have to go buy new clothes it's your fault. Wink
Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how you like it, snap a pic too! Smile

Another lover of cilantro? I could have that in vases instead of flowers! I just made a recipe the other day I will post for you (with pic).

I'm glad you like the pics, it helps me to decide if I want to make a recipe or not. Sometimes you just never know how it is supposed to look too.

I love enchiladas and that is a great idea using the rotisserie chicken!

No seafood here, no can do...nope! Shocked
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I CAN'T FIND MY CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had all the ingredients set out to take a picture - it was QUITE colorful - Crying or Very sad Couldn't and still can't find my camera. It's probably under the pile of printed out recipes on my desk! lol

I sauteed the onions and peppers and then decided to add the flour to make a roux - thought I'd thicken it on this end of cooking. Cooked it about 3 minutes before adding the chicken broth and potatoes. Then I just carried out with the recipe except before adding the milk I hit the whole mixture with my blender wand to break up the potatoes. Added the milk (there was probably about 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream in that mixture to make a total of the required 3 cups. I've added the corn and about 3/4 of a shredded rotisserie chicken - it already tastes wonderful!!!!!!!

I burned the daylights out of my poblano (I forgot it was in the oven) so what I did rescue I added to the soup, along with the rescued jalapeņo (or part of it anyway. It has given it just a hint of that southwestern smoked flavor. I also used smoked paprika because that's all I had. I didn't use the full amount of that though.

It's heating right now - the flavors are marrying and I expect a BIG family of "flavor babies" soon!!!!

This is definitely a winner! I was so looking forward to posting some pics - I'll just have to make it again! Very Happy
Bean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds wonderful! I'll be trying different versions with this one!

Find your camera! Evil or Very Mad Wink Mr. Green
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrrr - I'm still looking for it! I just finished a "sample" - it's wonderful even before the flavor babies!
Thin Crust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, still no camera but it wouldn't matter ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's all GONE!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad My son voted it BEST corn chowder he has ever had. My husband started eating it before it was ever done so I guess he approves too. A friend came by and does not like stuff with corn in it - she ate a HUGE bowl! Thanks bean - it was your picture that got me!!!!!!!!
Bean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so welcome! I'm glad it was a hit! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> All Other Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: