The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Anyone know about sourdough starters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Anyone know about sourdough starters? Reply with quote

Brian asks:

I'm curious about making pizza dough with
sourdough starters. You have any tips or strands that work well?"

My reply:

I am a big fan of sourdough. I have never made it, however.

I've only eaten it.

Does anyone have any tips for Brian about using sourdough?

Any sourdough recipes?

Any experience making sourdough pizza?

I am sure it would be excellent.

Does anyone have an opinion?

thanks in advance
http://legendsofpizza.com/blog
sourdough

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: sourdough starter Reply with quote

Hey, there Brian and pizza!

I have not started any pizza dough applications yet, BUT, I have captured my own wild yeast strain here in the Puget Sound area (I live just about 2 miles from the water) and have made some good bread with it using no commercial yeast. Good rise, good oven spring... nice crisp yet chewy crust and great crumb, mildly sour. I can give all kinds of help with bread applications to get you started in the right direction and will be happy to offer comments when I get started using it for pizza... which will be SOON!

First question... do you have a starter yet? It sounds like you probably do.... so, have you been baking bread with it? Where are you at in this whole process?

~sourdough
But civilized man cannot live without cooks.
~~Owen Meredith
dfandreatta
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdough involves using a 'starter' - go to http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm for a good tutorial about this kind of dough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
qiatsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Wild yeast vs commercial yeast Reply with quote

In Naples, IT commercial yeast is the preferred yeast however there are quite a few pizziolos that use natural yeast. The crust is must crisper with natural yeasts but you lose a lot of the chewy center. VPN certified pizzerias are allowed to use either natural or commercial. I generally use commercial yeast except during extremely hot weather because I try to not have to retard my dough in refrigeration so the natural yeasts lend themselves better for hot weather due to their slower metabolism. I currently use a wild yeast captured in a small town near Camaldoli in the Naples area. I actually prefer the taste of the commercial yeast dough for pizza better and it is better suited to go with wine than the natural yeast because the commercial yeast produces a less acidic end product. Which ever yeast you decide on it takes a little experimentation to find the combination of yeast and type of flour to produce the end product that pleases you so keep trying because everyday is different!!
ExplosiveFitness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Sourdough Is a great way to make pizza. Ive done it in both london and italy.
It can be a pain to stretch the dough out sometimes. You certainly wont be flipping it around etc ..but the flavour, texture/crumb is awesome.
I will have a dig around in my notebooks for some of the recipes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Your favorite dough secrets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: