The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum
Pizza and Pasta Tales, Tips and Talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go to pizzatherapy.com
Explore pastatherapy.com
Discover the Legends of Pizza
Ingredients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pencil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Ingredients Reply with quote

Hello

I'm interested in making a white sauce pizza. Any suggestions for the best white sauce? Also what toppings would be best? I was wondering if scapplops and shrimp might be great. What do you think? I'm a novice at this.

Thanks

Pencil
Vince120

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pencil

I've seen a "white sauce" be anything from just oil to a cheese sauce concoction. What are you looking for?

Vinny
Pencil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Wite Sauce Pizza Reply with quote

Vinny

I was thinking of making a fish pizza(scallops, lobster, crab and shrimp). Sounds pretty delicious!!! What does anyone think?

Pencil
Vince120

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pencil

Seafood, great. I see a thick white sauce in your future either Parmesan or a Cajun type, here's the basics on how to do it, this should make plenty for a 12 inch pie;

1 Tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon flour
pinch salt & pepper
3/4 to 1 cup milk or half and half

For Parmesan;

3/4 cup grated Parmesan

for Cajun;

1/2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning OR make your own Cajun seasoning good for all sorts of stuff by combining;
1t dried oregano
1t dried thyme
1/4t cayenne pepper
scant 1/4t red pepper flakes
1/2t paprika
1/2t cumin

To make the sauce saute' garlic in butter over medium heat, 1 minute. Stir in flour to make a paste, cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk reserving the last 1/4 cup. Bring to gentle simmer for 4 minutes, your looking for the consistency of thick gravy. If too thick add a little more milk.

For Parm; add milk and cheese, stir, and allow to cool before using.

For Cajun, simply add your Cajun seasoning to taste and cool.

Once cool, refrigerate up to 1 week. Slather this thick sauce on your seafood pizza (not too thickly) then top with what seafood you like, bake and enjoy.

Vinny
Pencil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: White Sauce Pizza Ingredients Reply with quote

Vince

You have been very helpful. The cajun part will play a big role in how the pizza tastes. I love cajun, especially cajun catfish which I could also put on the pie. Maybe even some calamari.

How well do you know Al?

Thanks again

Pencil
GOOMBA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PENCIL:
Good morning. The Red Lobster sea-food chain features a "LOBSTER PIZZA". Maybe you can emulate that???.
Good luck & have a nice day.
~GOOMBA.
songbird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a thought...I once made a pasta sauce with cream cheese. That might work on a pizza. It was a very simple recipe. I bet Philadelphia Cream Cheese website has it.
urmaniac13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to encounter any pizza with white cream sauce here in Rome, nor heard anything about them. However it is possible that maybe in northern part of Italy something similar could be found.

However, here is a great "white sauce", yes it is in most part white, wonderfully rich and tasty, "quattro formaggi" sauce. (4 cheese sauce)

My usual combination of the cheeses are fontina, taleggio, gorgonzola and either edam or gouda. You can use just about any kind of cheese that melts well with heat.
Cut the cheeses in small cubes, put into a double boiler. Add desired amount of cooking cream (25% milkfat), and a dash of white pepper. Heat, stirring often until cheeses are melted completely and turns into a rich, thick sauce. Pour onto the pizza and bake.

Also an addition of chopped pancetta will add the nice flavour.
This sauce is also wonderful on pasta, especially gnocchi, and some cooked vegetables like broccoli or brussel sprouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pizza Therapy Forum and Pasta Therapy Forum Forum Index -> Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: